This is my first time becoming part of the blogging world. I have never created a blog before or read other's blogs. I am not sure what to talk about so I thought about starting a discussion. I currently work ten months at a local high school as a secretary. It is a very interesting job and never had a dull moment! We currently have started a new endeavor with the NC public school system called ischool. This program allows high school students to take certain classes online, and may actually accelerate them to graduate earlier. What is your view on this? Do you think internet classes in high school are a good idea? I know that I take internet classes at the college level and love them. But is this a good idea at the high school level.....
draft
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think that is a terrible idea. There are a lot of aspects of high school which are very important to young people, like: socialization, discipline, and structure. The school system, in my opinion and no offense to you I'm sure you're great, is in bad enough shape with no child left behind and standardized testing. Also, I don't feel like high school does enough to prepare people for college. I mean, yes colleges have online courses, but that is such a small, insignificant part of it. High schools need to focus on repairing and enhancing what they already have before they move on to new unexplored territory.
wgolson@uncc.edu
I think this is a great discussion. I have 2 children. One of them would do well with on-line classes, the other one not so well. They each have different personalities that bring them to different aspects of life. One requires the need to be alone, the other could not survive without others being around. On-line classes could be a benefit. I think with a little time, hard work, that most kids could get use to them. I do think that they still need the school environment for social skills though. Life is not lived behind a computer. You have to explore it to the fullest.
Hi Rachel! Its been forever since we talked (I think since we visited when you were in NY), but I've been meaning to look at your blog, and now that I have, I thought I'd say hi!
As for your question, I'll answer by what I've found works best for me. I took some online classes in college, and of course some regular ones too. I've found though that I don't do as well with online classes. I find lots of ways to distract myself when I'm not in the classroom setting and just don't have the discipline to really follow through on the lectures and assignments. On the other hand, that's just me and my learning style. That doesn't go to say it wouldn't work for others.
Anyways- that's my 2 cents! :)
Post a Comment